Posts filled under: spoon
I’ll be 22 in less than a week and that’s a good reason to make a new mixtape. 23 tracks, each of them released in a different year (1989-2011). No theme at all - they’re included in the mixtape because they’ve been meaningful to me and I think they sound great together. The last one is a gem I recently found on Altered Zones and I’m quite sure it’s going to be one of my favorite jams of the year. No artwork as well - it’s been a busy day.
1. Pixies - Debaser (Doolittle, 1989)
2. They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul (Flood, 1990)
3. My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow (Loveless, 1991)
4. Sonic Youth - 100% (Dirty, 1992)
5. Slowdive - Alison (Souvlaki, 1993)
6. Portishead - It’s A Fire (Dummy, 1994)
7. Elastica - Connection (Elastica, 1995)
8. Belle and Sebastian - Expectations (Tigermilk, 1996)
9. Yo La Tengo - My Little Corner Of The World (I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, 1997)
10. Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945 (In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, 1998)
11. The Dears - Heartless Romantic (End of a Hollywood Bedtime Story, 1999)
12. Spoon - Jealousy (Love Ways EP, 2000)
13. Sparklehorse - It’s A Wonderful Life (It’s A Wonderful Life, 2001)
14. The Libertines - Death On The Stairs (Up The Bracket, 2002)
15. The Radio Dept. - Why Won’t You Talk About It (Lesser Matters, 2003)
16. M83 - Moonchild (Before The Dawn Heals Us, 2004)
17. Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy (The Campfire Headphase, 2005)
18. Sunset Rubdown - They Took A Vote And Said No (Shut Up I Am Dreaming, 2006)
19. Akron/Family - Ed Is A Portal (Love Is Simple, 2007)
20. Vivian Girls - Where Do You Run To (Vivian Girls, 2008)
21. The Big Pink - Velvet (A Brief History of Love, 2009)
22. Autre Ne Veut - Two Days Of Rain (Autre Ne Veut, 2010)
23. Belong - Perfect Life (Common Era, 2011)
I look oh so hideous. But I don’t give a fuck.
I just saw them and I had an eargasm. They are my favorite band. I never felt so good in a concert. I sang every song sooooo hard. They played Car Radio! I have a picture with Britt Daniel, and a picture with Rob and Eric. I could talk with them. I fucking came so many times. I loved it.
Best experience of my life, so far.
Me and the Bean, Small Stakes, Don’t Make Me A Target, Stay Don’t Go, You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb, My Mathematical Mind, The Ghost Of You Lingers, Who Makes Your Money, Trouble Comes Running, I Turn My Camera On, Everything Hits At Once, Written In Reverse, Don’t You Evah, I Summon You, Nobody Gets Me But You, Jonathon Fisk, The Underdog, Black Like Me. (encore)
Finer Feelings, Car Radio, The Way We Get By, Rhythm & Soul.
Have a good night. I just had the best experience of my life.
I saw Spoon in this music festival three years ago. I was 18. Sister Jack, I Turn My Camera On, The Way We Get By and I Summon You were the only Spoon songs I had listened then. Their set was short, 50 minutes. Most people didn’t pay attention to the band: they were either drinking free booze or partying with Bonde Do Role inside the electronic tent.
That night changed my life. I was relatively drunk, but I saw one of the best live performances I have ever seen. A month later, I had this obsession. I could ONLY listen to Spoon. Then, in six months or so Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga leaked and it became my favorite album of 2007 (closely followed by of Montreal [that was so random]).
Since then, Spoon has been my favorite band, along with Arcade Fire (seeing them for the first time in three weeks). I have listened to them every single week for the past three years. And, a month ago, Arts & Crafts Mexico announced they would be playing in Mexico City.
So, it’s two days till I see my favorite band, but now as a huge fan. And I don’t know what to say. I’ll cry, but I’m glad I will. They don’t remind me of any person I want to forget, any sad situation I have gone through or any bad memory. They remind me of my favorite stage of my life, and I’m sure it will be an outstanding experience; I’ll keep it with me forever.
If memory serves, it’s been weeks since the last time I posted a mix. So I decided to select and arrange a few jams I really like. A theme? Not really. The order of the tracks is important. There’s all kind of music here - happy songs, sad songs, rock, electronic, whatever. Most of them were released/will be released in 2010. And well, you might like them.
Tracklisting and download links below.